25 Apr 2015

Leonid Afremov Q & A




http://afremov.com/home.php ( All images that I've used are from his own website)

This is my last of an enjoyable series of interviews with professional artists and illustrators. Leonid Afremov is one of my favorite artists I love his unique style ( using a palette knife) and bright vibrant paintings. I can't actually believe he even replied to me he sells work for thousands in galleries all over the world. He is a very talented man and a great inspiration to me. His answers were brief but a great insight indeed.


1) What inspired you to take up painting?
I was painting since I was a little kid. It was a childhood hobby that kept growing 

2) Which artists inspire your in your work. 
 Marc Chagall , Claude Monet, and Francisco Goya

3) What do you want people to feel when looking at your paintings? 

 I want people to feel a certain mood which I'm trying to transfer. It can be happiness, sadness,  or anger  


4) From looking at your work, you like to use the palette knife, what is it about that tool that you like? 

The palette knife is very clean. You clean it up 100% with just little bit of tissue and there is no paint left on it. A brush always has residue of previous colors that mix in and make the paint dirty . Also the palette knife helps you make lots of texture  

5) If you could give one tip to a student trying to make it into the professional art industry, what would it be? 

Work hard and never give up. good things happen with patience and dedication.   

6) How much freedom do you have when creating your work? 
At this point  of my career I paint whatever I want. I also take commissions. they help with new ideas

7) Among your works, which one is your favorite? Why?
Alley by the Lake is my most favorite. It shows the most who I'm and my style. 













No comments:

Post a Comment